Hey, how's everyone doing? The past few weeks for me were like... WOW! I expected some time to unwind, sleep in, cook, bake and get creative in- and outside of the kitchen, meet friends, catch up with relatives and just get some university applications done on the side...
Blueberry Spelt Buns
- 300g whole spelt flour plus more for dusting
- 2 tsp dried yeast
- 150 ml warm tap water
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp nut butter
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 120g fresh or thawed blackberries
- 3 Tbsp coconut sugar, honey or other natural sweetener
1. Mix the yeast, water, 2 Tbsp honey, coconut oil and nut butter. Whisk until well combined. In a medium mix the flour, spices and salt then stir in the yeast mix. Knead for 5 minutes until a soft dough ball forms and cleans the bowl. Cover with a tea towel and let rise for 1-1.5 h or until doubled in size.
2. Preheat your oven. Lightly flour your working surface. Divide dough into six pieces. Roll each into a ball between your palms and press slightly to flatten. Put the formed buns onto a greased or parchment lined baking sheet.
3. Heat your blackberries in a small saucepan, stir in the coconut sugar. Keep it on low heat for three minutes. Using the back of a spoon press a small hollow into each bun. Spoon the blackberries into the hollows. Cover the sheet with cling film and let the buns rise for 20 minutes. Unwrap and bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes until lightly browned and bottom sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from the oven. Allow to cool for five minutes before serving. They taste great with a dollop of natural (greek) yoghurt or some extra honey drizzled on top. Enjoy!