Current mood: bucketloads of good coffee in the morning or whole pints of English Breakfast w/ milk in the afternoon... and warm cake, biscuits, muffins or anything freshly baked and wholesome-ly sweet. Pre-autumn blues? Maybe.. rainy and grey german weather? Definitely.
- makes one regular sized loaf cake, double the amount for a measurements for a regular-sized springform pan
- 200g fresh or thawed rhubarb, peeled and cut into large chunks (max. 2 inch long)
- a handful of Hazelnuts, blanched
- 150g natural full-fat Yoghurt (3.5%), or non-dairy if necessary
- 60g plus 2 Tbsp coconut oil, alternatively use butter or vegan spread
- 90g plus 5 Tbsp Honey
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 220g flour (I used whole spelt, but all-purpose or whole wheat works equally fine)
- 1 and 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 Tbsp white vinegar
- 60 ml milk, use non-dairy if necessary
1. Mix the rhubarb with 3 Tbsp honey and heat in a small saucepan until slightly softened while interior is still firm. Alternatively heat it in a covered bowl in the microwave for 2:30 minutes on high-heat.
2. Pre-heat your oven to 175°C. Toast your hazelnuts on a baking sheet for 10 minutes until slightly browned. Meanwhile beat the yoghurt, 60g coconut oil and 90g honey on high for two minutes. In a separate bowl mix all dry ingredients. Pour vinegar and milk over the batter and lift in the dry ingredients briefly until just combined.
3. Melt the remaining 2 Tbsp Coconut Oil, mix it with the honey and spread that onto the bottom of your pan. Drain the rhubarb and put it into the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle the hazelnuts on top and cover with the batter.
4. Bake for 30-40 minutes until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Enjoy!