Just a quick recipe post, as I have a healthy cookie recipe to be posted this weekend!
Lightning kept killing me this week - 5 pm and it's pitch black! When should I take my photos? Ahh, the daily time problem... :-((
So, please excuse the quite dark picture, but I just didn't want to hide this so easy yet incredibly delicious soup. Some basic pumpkin gets paired with tomatoes and carrots to create a healthy yet rich soup - perfectly topped off with some (greek) yogurt!
Pumpkin Soup with Veggies
- serves 4 people as a filling main dish
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Onion
- 1 kg fresh pumpkin (or use your favourite squash instead!)
- 4 medium sized carrots
- 1 can of diced tomatoes with juice
- 600 ml water
- 2 Tbsp Chicken/Vegetable Broth
- 1 inch piece of ginger
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- optional: salt, pepper, (greek) yogurt for topping.
1. Carve the pumpkin, removing skin and seeds - you'll just need the flesh. Peel and cut carrots into small pieces.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large pot to medium high heat. Peel the onion and add it to the heated oil, watch as it might burn quickly. Peel the ginger and cut it into small cubes.
3. Add the carrots and the ginger to the pot. Sautee it for 5 minutes then mix in the pumpkin and the tomatoes with their juice. Mix the water with the broth and add it to the pot. Let it simmer on medium low heat for 30 minutes.
4. Give the soup a good stir and add in the cinnamon and salt/pepper according to your taste.
5. Take the pot off the heat and blend the soup together until its smooth. If its too thick you might want to add in some more broth.
6. Return to heat and let it simmer for another 15 minutes. Serve with some greek yogurt, pepper and top with a few parsley leafes. Enjoy!